What should I wear for family pictures / what should I dress my kids in for family photos? Is one of the most common questions that I get asked by clients. While I'm no fashionista myself, I have picked up a few pointers along the last few years I've been photographing families. Here are some of the tips and tricks I like to pass along to help people look and feel their best in their family pictures:
1. Patterns, prints, and bold color are GREAT....in small doses. Especially when trying to coordinate several people, use statement colors or busy patterns and prints as accents to your outfit. This works especially well in the spring when it's still sweater weather, for accessories like scarves, headbands, or blouses underneath solid color sweaters. Or if you happen to love neon, instead of a dayglow outfit, opt for a pop of color in the form of a skinny belt, jewelry, a jacket, or shoes.
2. Neutrals and pastels are flattering on everyone. And they tend to work well with the bright greens and earthy tones you begin to see again in spring.
3. Comfort is key! After all, you want to be able to move, walk, and interact with your family during your session. You can dress up a casual outfit with some accessories, a nice jacket, or a pair of trendy shoes.
4. Dressing the kids, the same rules apply. You can find the mini versions of a lot of current adult trends at kids stores now. Pastel, ruffles, sparkly accessories for little girls, and neons, stripes, and detailed neutral separates for the boys.
5. When in doubt, search the web for outfit inspiration. Some of my favorite sites are Polyvore.com, Laurenconrad.com and, of course, Pinterest.